Friday, July 2, 2010

It's an altered world after all....

I love making altered tins.  I like the idea of taking a corner of my minds eye, and tucking it into a little tin box, to share with someone special.  I recently made this tin for a very special someone's 18th birthday.

I knew I wanted to try something different with this tin, in that I wanted to use two tins.  I toyed with the idea of attaching the tins to each other with hinges, but in the end I glued them back to back instead.
This is a picture of the front lid.  I used a page out of a 1952 Sears catalog for my dp.  I inked the paper using Tim Holtz Distress Inks.  I then used a frame stamp from the Tim Holtz Visual Artistry collection and archival ink to distress things a bit.  I then distressed the Scrabble letters by sanding them, and inking with Distress Ink, then I used the same frame stamp on the Scrabble letters.

 This is the inside of the first tin.  I used the same catalog, but did not do as much distressing of the paper.  I love using old keys on things, and was very excited to find a cool old one with a star.  For the miniature domino, I used Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol inks.  For the glass bottle I attached little watch gears to the inside and the outside.  Stamps and ink are, you guessed it, Tim Holtz!  I love the nostalgia that his images bring.


This is probably my favorite part of the tin.  Such cool findings were placed in this one.  the lens in the lower right, red and black dial and the coil at the top middle are all from an old movie camera.  See the LL2?  Know what it is?  It's an elevator button.  I love it!  One of those once in a lifetime finds.  Actually came across it and one other in a free box at a garage sale, score!  The clock stamp is Tim, but the hula popper (fishing lure) stamp is from Hobby Lobby.  For the popper I used colored pencils and mineral spirits, then I shot it with clear coat.  I accented the eye with Glossy Accents.

So I am a picture short.  I'm opting to not post a picture of the back lid.  While it is very cool, it contains personal information, sorry.  I hope you have enjoyed looking, as much as I have enjoyed sharing.  Happy day!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely tin. I really like it!!!! Your friend that received it is really lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete